Interesting Mixture of Poetry and Meanness

5/13/2015 11:23:00 PM

The list of conversations in the iconic scene, when the guy meet the woman who's his anonymous pen pal and turned out to be someone he knew and has a bad impression of him. From all four works based on a play, Parfumerie by Hungarian playwright, Miklós László. Spoiler alert if you haven't watched them.

1. The Shop Around the Corner (1940)


Mr. Kralik: "There are many things you don't know about me, Miss Novak. As a matter of fact, there might be a lot we don't know about each other. People seldom go to the trouble of scratching the surface of things, to find the inner truth."

Ms. Novak: "I really wouldn't care to scratch your surface, Mr. Kralik. Because I know exactly what I'd find. Instead of a heart, a handbag. Instead of a soul, a suitcase. And instead of an intellect, a cigarette lighter which doesn't work." 

Mr. Kralik: "That's very nicely put."

Ms. Novak: "Yes."

Mr. Kralik: "Comparing my intellect with a cigarette lighter that doesn't work. Yeah, that's a very interesting mixture of poetry and meanness."

Ms. Novak: "Meanness? Let me--"

Mr. Kralik: "Don't misunderstand me. I'm only trying to pay you a compliment." 

2. In the Good Old Summertime (1949) 
  
Andrew: "And there are a great many things you don't know about me. It's such a pity that people so seldom, go to the trouble of scratching the surface to find out the inner truth."

Andrew: "That's very well put. Thank you."

Veronica: "Yes." 

Andrew: "A metronome?" 

Veronica: "Yes." 

Andrew: "It's such an interesting mixture of poetry and meanness. Very well put." 

Veronica: "Meanness?" 

Andrew: "Don't misunderstand me--" 

Veronica: "I wouldn't care to scratch your surface, because I know that underneath I'd find, instead of a heart, a piccolo. Instead of a soul, I'd find a flute, and instead of an intellect, I'd find a metronome that doesn't work very well."

3. She Loves Me (1963)
Amalia: "I don't understand you."

George: "How could you, Ms. Banash, you never listen to me, you never really looked at me."

Amalia: "How wrong you are, Mr. Nowack, I’m looking at you now, and shall I tell you what I see? I see a smug, pompous, petty tyrant who's very sure of himself and very ambitious. But I see him ten years from now, selling shampoo. And twenty years from now, selling shampoo. And thirty years from now still selling shampoo. Because, basically, you know what he is? Just a not-very-bright, not-very-handsome, not-very-young man with balding hair and the personality of a python!"

4. You've Got Mail (1998) 

Joe: "I think you’d discover a lot of things if you really knew me."

Kathleen: "If I really knew you, I know what I'd find. Instead of a brain, a cash register. Instead of a heart, a bottom line."

Joe: "What?" 

Kathleen: "I just had a breakthrough."

Joe: "What is it?"

Kathleen: "I have you to thank for it. For the first time in my life, when confronted with a horrible, insensitive person I knew exactly what I wanted to say, and I said it." 

Joe: "I think you have a gift for it. That's a perfect blend of poetry and meanness."
 
Kathleen: "Meanness. Let me tell you something about meanness." 

Joe: "Don't misunderstand me. I'm just trying to pay you a compliment."

  It's the most awaited moment and very interesting scene, in which anonymous pen pal finally met in real life, but the guy found out the woman is, kinda his enemy, and the woman didn't realized him as the person she couldn't wait to meet. The woman just noticed him as the guy from work whom she hate very much. So, the woman did nothing but being mean to him. Poor guy.

And my favorite movie based on Parfumerie is... The Shop Around the Corner. Thanks to Jimmy Stewart as Mr. Kralik who took all of our hearts.

0 Comment(s)

Comment here