I Love the Regency Era

12/07/2013 11:38:00 PM

Can I just wish I live in the Regency Era?

When we meet people at a ball, party or social gathering. Because there's no social media such thing. People really need to go out there to meet, to know or to date someone. Something that's somehow rare these days.

When a man bows and woman curtsies when they meet or leave. When a couple is forbidden to go anywhere alone without someone else there. When a man and woman only be permitted to touch hand. When the etiquette of talking about someone else is still upheld. These are things I rarely see in today's era. Not that I hate my era, but of course with much of watching period shows or movies, and reading period novels, you must want to know how it feels to be in the place where you will never experience.

Although I read every Jane Austen's novel like twice (except Persuasion), Bronte sisters' novel, etc, and watch every movie and BBC shows adaption, I still don't mastered a lot of thing about the Regency Era. Why is this and why is that. And it makes me wondering if we are actually think more rational these days or back then.

I also want to wear bonnet and victorian empire waist dress without getting misconception it's for Halloween costume party or cosplay party. Oh those lovely and pretty dress and lace I will never have.

The way you get to know some men is also unique those days. We attended a ball, we waited until someone with higher status introduce us to someone new, we curtsied, we danced (not all day long because a ball isn't allowed for a whole day), we got to know each other and planned other things to do next week or the day after tomorrow. Yes, it's more complicated than today, but it's such a well-mannered thing to do.

But the reality is we live in this whole new technology era, something that people in the Regency Era will never imagine. The internet, handphone, laptop, 4D effect, or even a glasses-phone, they could call it as 'magic'. We should all thankful too for living in this era.

Well, if I have a TARDIS or vortex manipulator, I'd definitely go and try living in the Regency Era.



0 Comment(s)

Comment here