I'm Addicted: Part 2

4/26/2013 04:23:00 PM

This is the second part of my post: I'm Addicted. (You can read it first if you haven't, or not. It's okay too).
The fact that my taste of musical theater has changed through the past years is changing my view of them too. So, I changed the list a bit and soon I'll add more. Not everything in musical theater I would like on the first time I noticed it. There are some kind that wouldn't enthrall me to see.

And this is the continuance of my unfinished musical-review post from last year. Just a trivia, I spent a whole week to write this. It's just me, maybe. Enjoy this review, and spend a little more time for reading the first one if you're interested.

(not in particular order)
5. West Side Story


Some people called it Romeo and Juliet gangster version. Because that is what it's all about. Everyone knows about Romeo and Juliet story. About a woman and a man from a totally different background. It's a very tragic love story that remains memorable until now. The musical is based on a book by Arthur Laurents which is setting in the mid 1950s in Upper West Side. The musical explores the rivalry between the Jets and the Sharks, two teenage street gangs of different ethnic backgrounds.
Favorite Songs: Tonight, Somewhere, I Feel Pretty, and Maria.

6. The Phantom of The Opera
This is absolutely my all time favorite. I remember when I first heard the story from my grandmother who happened to own the book (since she was a major in French), and I really interested in reading the book. But then I decided to watch the musical first (just like Les Miserables, I skipped the book again), and I fell in love with it; the song, the set, and the phantom. A musical genius. And I love Andrew Lloyd Webber music in it. It's the best of his work I could say (since the sequel is not equally as good, but still love it). Based on a French novel by Gaston Leroux.
Favorite Songs: All I Ask of You, Think of Me, Music of the Night, and The Phantom of the Opera.

7. Sweeney Todd 

My friend in Texas recommended it to me. I decided to watch the movie first. And I couldn't believe at the first place that I will like this type of musical. The musical is based on the 1973 play with the same title by Christopher Bond. Set in 19th century England, the musical tells the story of Benjamin Barker, aka Sweeney Todd who vows revenge on the judge in a matter of his wife's suicide. He teams up with Mrs. Lovett, and opens a barbershop in which he slits the throats of customers and has them baked into pies.
Favorite Songs: My Friends, A Little Priest, Epiphany, and Pretty Women.

8. Hairspray


I obviously prefer the musical theater rather than the movie for this one. The movie is fine, but in my opinion, it isn't as good as the musical. The story is definitely different, and there are lot of cuts. So the movie isn't authentic anymore (different with Les Miserables movie. It's so good, even though they cut a bit of A Little Fall of Rain, my fave part). It based on the old fim Hairspray film by John Waters in 1988. The groovy music by Marc Shaiman.  In 1962 Baltimore, Maryland, plump teenager Tracy Turnblad's dream is to dance on The Corny Collins Show. When Tracy wins a role on the show, she becomes a celebrity overnight. She then launches a campaign to integrate the show. Hairspray is a social commentary on the injustices of parts of American society in the 1960s. And it has my favorite soundtrack of all time. All the songs are catchy and the lyrics are awesome. 'Cause without love, life is like a beat that you can't follow. Without love, life is Doris Day at the Apollo.
Favorite Songs: Without Love, You Can't Stop the Beat, The Nicest Kids in Town, and It Takes Two.

9. My Fair Lady


One of my favorite Audrey Hepburn movie. This is a musical based upon George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion. The story concerns Eliza Doolittle, a Cockney flower girl who takes speech lessons from professor Henry Higgins, a phoneticist. Well speech equals well born lady, so hopefully after the lessons Eliza will become more successful than just a flower girl.
Favorite Songs: With a Little Bit of Luck, I Could Have Dance All Night, and Just You Wait.

10. Grease
Some people call it the classic of High School Musical. It's kinda true. It has a high school theme, where there are populars, nerds, and bad boys. The film is based on a successful musical with the same name by Jim Jacobs and Warren Casey in 1971. The show tackles such social issues as teenage pregnancy and gang violence; its themes include love, friendship, and teenage rebellion. 
Favorite Songs: Summer Nights, Hopelessly Devoted to You, You're the One that I Want, and Greased Lightnin'.

Will there be a Part 3? We'll see...

0 Comment(s)

Comment here