I'm Addicted

6/19/2012 12:51:00 PM

This is a rare opinion, but yeah, I'm addicted to... (calm down, it's not a drug)

Theatre.

Yep. It maybe sounds a bit nerdy (or much?), but for me theatre is amazing. Team StarKid has changed my view of theatre. But actually, I do love classic things before. Like Frances Hodgson-Burnett's and Charles Dickens's book and classical music. Then, my dream has increased one, being a theatre kid in University of Michigan. Not because Team StarKid were graduated there, but because it's really a good school for music, theatre, and has a cool sport team named: Wolverines.

#GOBLUE! (it's kind of like a supportive word for Wolverines or University of Michigan).

I'm actually addicted to many things, that made me having like an 'unhealthy obsession'. I'm addicted to tv-shows (doctor who, sherlock, glee, gossip girl, etc), musical theater, movies, and lately Team StarKid (the maker of A Very Potter Musical, A Very Potter Sequel, Starship, and Holy Musical B@man).
And this post is about I'm addicted to theatre stuff, so, I'm not gonna discuss the others.

If you don't like theatre, and thought it's a boring thing ever. Well, I thought like that too before. But then I found Team StarKid, and they changed my view. They made an amazing musical of Harry PotterWhat you have to do is: watch it, try to watch it even you nearly falling asleep at the first minute. They're not that suck as you thought. I challenged you to watch A Very Potter Musical, then you'll fall in love with them. After that, try to watch another StarKid's work. And then try to watch another musical, it's worth it.

This is list of my favorite musical all-time (might change someday), by a view of a newbie theatre geek: (not in order)

1. Les Miserables
Best musical, scores, and book in my opinion. No doubt it won so many Tony Awards. This musical based from a novel by Victor Hugo with the same title. I love the book, really, but I haven't finished it. and might not finished because too lazy for reading a 'hard english' book. It's classic but the words are different from Frances Hodgson Burnett or Charles Dickens. However, still love the book! 
You're gonna love the 'love triangle' story of Cosette, Marius and Eponine (they're so pathetic. just sayin')
Favorite song from the musical: On My Own, I Dreamed a Dream, One Day More, A Heart Full of Love, and Castle on a Cloud.

P.S. Can't wait the movie on December! Starring Anne Hathaway (as Fantine yay!), Hugh Jackman (as Jean Valjean), Samantha Barks (as Eponine), Amanda Seyfriend (as Cosette), Helena Bonham Carter (as Madame Thenardier), and many more

2. The Sound of Music
Uhm, it's not a theatre stuff. I know but it's a musical. Every time I watch this, it's bringing me back memories of my childhood. I watched it since I was five, with my mom, or my grandma. It based on the book The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria von Trapp, the film is about a young woman who leaves an Austrian convent to become a governess to the seven children of a naval officer widower. Favorite song from the musical: Edelweiss, Do Re Mi, The Sound of Music and My Favorite Things.

  3. A Very Potter Musical & Sequel.
A musical of Harry Potter, what else that I want? They made supermegafoxyawesomehot jokes nearly every moments. And they also made their own remarkable quotes like "Redvines, what the hell can they do?" or "I can't go to pigfarts, it's on mars".

I learned so many things from this musical, like: Pigfarts is on mars. and have a headmaster named Rumbleroar. He is a lion, who can talk. also The Umbridge Rules: Rule number one, no boys, unless they're cute. Rule number two, no alcohol, unless they're plenty to go all around. Rule number three, no party, unless Umbridge is invited! There are many more quotes that would be so long if I write it all here.

The best part guys, they can made a villain looks totally hot. Oh, there are a shirtless six-pack Voldemort, and Umbridge's hot arms, they're played by the same actor: Joe Walker. My favorite starkid and also my celeb crush. Yum.

So, overall, it was an amazing show from a college students. Don't believe me? Watch it yourself on Team Starkid Youtube Page. I bet you gonna love it, especially when you're a potterhead like me. Remember, they made this musical in budget less than $50. So can you imagine how awesome is it a college group made a musical and got a HUGE success?
Favorite Song from the musical: Going Back to Hogwarts, Not Alone, Granger Danger, Days of Summer, and To Have a Home.
"Voldemort is out, bitchez"
4. Wicked
Time for Witches! Love this one. And of course everyone love it. Based on the Gregory Maguire's novel: Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West. Wicked tells the story in which these two unlikely friends grow to become the Wicked Witch of the West and the Good Witch of the North while struggling through opposing personality and their other differences.
Favorite Song from the musical: Defying Gravity, What is this feeling, The Wizard and I, and many more.

So this is the full list (again, not in particular order). And I'll review it later:

5. West Side Story
6. The Phantom of The Opera
7. Sweeney Todd 
8. My Fair Lady
9. Hairspray
10. Grease

(READ THE PART 2)

And leave a comment of your favorite musical all-time list!
- B -

4 Comment(s)

  1. Hey! Hahaha I've finally braved myself into posting a comment to one of your blogposts after Jihad introduced me to it. He said he found someone who's as cray cray to theatre as I am, and woaaaah my God do we share the same interest. And taste in musicals.

    Tbh it's really flattering and overwhelming to have found someone who likes exactly what you like HAH! And here you are! ;_________;

    I'm currently in /love/ with Les Mis. Like literally. I listen to it before I sleep and after I wake (a freak, I know). The 25th anniversary came on TV and I fell in love with it. It was right on Lea's perfomance and boy did she kick ass. Her expressions were heartbreaking, wasn't it? I cannot not tear up when I watch her perform I Dreamed a Dream ; w; I decided to stay and watch the rest.
    I haven't read the full novel though hahahaha it's like 1000+ pages!! But I managed to get hold of the summary novel that's like 200 pages only.
    I'm so very, very, very excited for the upcoming movie!!!! Anne Hathaway is going to kickass so bad, I mean I'm flushed in my emotions everytime the trailer comes on. And Samantha Barks!!! So excited for her in her first movie ever, she did superb in the 25th anniv.

    I'm going to squeal right now because I also like Wicked and The Phantom ;__________; I'm new to Wicked, don't know nothing other than the amazing set and costume design, Kristin Chenoweth and Idina Menzel. Very beginner, I know x______x I know quite a lot of things (not really) about Phantom though, I have the DVD of the movie and my mother loves it as well hahaha I repeat that amazing note in the iconic song ALL the time.

    You like Sweeny too? Are you kidding me right now? GIRL WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?? I've only watch the Tim Burton movie lol and my school did a production of it, it was very entertaining. But I wished I knew more about it.

    YEAH OKAY I'm going to stop now because this is longer than I planned it to be. Don't freak out (?)

    Anyway, it was really nice browsing through your blog (hahahaha I know) and I hope we really get along well with each other (:

    So to get this conversation going: what's your dream cast for Les Mis?

    PS: do you happen to watch BBC's Sherlock? just asking HEHE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hii!!
    Umm, I don't know where to start because I'm as flattered as you are xD.
    It's not a freak btw. When I first found out about les mis, I listen to it everyday. Like when I'm on my way to school, to mall, or before I sleep. My friends thought I am being a total nerd. But whatev, I really love it. Especially One Day More. and on my own, a heart full of love, in my life, i dreamed a dream, do you hear the people sing, aah nearly every song.
    then I'm totally freaked out when I found Les Miserables e-book for free on the internet, but when I started to read it... wew I don't know when I'll finish that. Same like you, I fell in love with Les mis when I watched 25th Anniversary. Samantha Barks will totally rocks 'Ponine again><

    And Sweeney! I've only watch the Tim Burton's one too haha. But my UK friends often talking about Sweeney and stuff. Made me more interested in that.

    And for your question, my dream cast, wow I often think about that. It always changed, like at first I wanted to play Cosette, then Madame Thenardier (?), then Eponine. I guess It'll be 'ponine now, since my voice isn't as damn high as cosette, or cray cray enough to be Thenardier lol
    So, what's yours? :]

    Yep. I'm a wholockian (doctor who & sherlock) c:

    P.S: Your blog is amaziiin'! and your words... asdfghjklawesomee!! *_*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love One Day More! I personally think it's the best song out of all, never fail to give me the chills everytime. Eponine and Enjolras stood out ; u; they're so amazing. I personally think the 25th anniv. got the best cast. My favourite Les Mis songs seem to be your favourite too ckckck plus Master of The House though.

    I really love the Thernadiers! They make the musical depressing and funny at the same time! I'd like to be Enjolras or Marius. Or maybe Eponine if they decided to spin a few things around, I think it would be fun hehehe (there's this guy on tumblr who played Eponine and I'm like HOW HOW HOW) but like yeah, I can't sing a note to save my life /FACEPALM

    Yessss! Sweeeeney! They revived it in the UK and the woman who played Umbridge in Harry Potter is Mrs. Lovett :DD everyone's saying she's great and all and I'm just here sulking in front of my laptop.

    I'm a sherlockian, too!! A hardcore sherlockian tbh hahaha I'm really crazy about the show. And the great Benedict Cumberbatch *-------------* the things that show have done to my life is very sad. I've been trying to watch Doctor Who. I'm still wondering though: should I start with the one David Tennant in or jump straight to Matt Smith?

    Hahahaha I see you've met my depressing blog, I don't even know why it's still there because it's all dust and embarassing galaaaauuu stuff but thank youu, it means a lot (:

    (I'M REALLY SORRY THAT FIRST COMMENT WAS SO LONG OMG)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree with you. 25th anniv got the best cast. Lea is stunning as Fantine, and Ramin Karimloo as Enjolras is just purrfecct :D
    Wow, there's a guy played Eponine?? I'd love to see that. jsyk Draco Malfoy is played by a woman and Umbridge played by a boy in the musical. and they're totally awesome. I think 'spinning' the character isn't so bad. I mean, it actually can exhibits the potential of an actor/actress. I'd love to play Enjolras then haha.

    Yeaah Sherlock is addicting! I'm new to Sherlock btw. And I fell in love with it at the first time I saw it. I'm looking forward to see Benedict's new film, Untitled Star Trek sequel. I heard he will plays the villain!
    and tbh I haven't watched all of David Tennant's DW version. Well, they're both amazing. But my opinion, you can start from Matt's version since series 7 will begin airing this september ><

    It's okaay. Your comment really made my day. Its fun to talk with another theatre geek out there :]

    ReplyDelete

Comment here